Holiday Safety Tips from Rainbow International
The holidays are a time of hope and cheer – but they can also be a time of danger. From unstable candles to exploding turkeys, dangerous ladders and falling Christmas trees, there are many potential mishaps. It’s important to follow safety protocol throughout the holidays to keep your friends, family and guests safe.
Stay safe this holiday season with
these tips from Rainbow International.
How to Hang Christmas Lights Safely
- Practice ladder safety: When hanging outdoor lights, use a sturdy ladder on level ground. Ask a neighbor or family member to spot you while you’re hanging outdoor holiday lights.
- Pick the right lights for the job: Be sure to use lights that are designated as “outdoor” lights. Outside lights should have a fuse built into each strand’s plug.
- Inspect, repair or replace: Each year, be sure to inspect your exterior holiday lights when you take them down and put them back up. Replace all blown or broken bulbs with new bulbs of the correct wattage.
Don’t forget! Test your exterior lights before you climb the ladder to hang them.
Fire Safety During the Holidays
- Lighting the tree: Love the look of lots of lights? Don’t plug more than three strands of lights into each other. User a power strip to add additional strands. Be sure to unplug lights before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Live tree care: Water, water, water! Choose a high-quality tree base that allows for ample watering. Water your tree frequently (especially if you have pets who may stop for a drink). When your tree gets crisp, discard it.
- Menorahs and kinaras: Keep menorahs and kinaras at least three feet from flammable materials like curtains or decorations. Always monitor pets and young children around open flames. To take fire safety one step further, opt for an electronic menorah or kinara.
- Holiday candles: Use holiday candles sparingly, and never leave them unattended. Choose non-flammable décor, or use electronic candles in place of traditional candles.
- Fireplace safety: Always use a fireplace screen when using your home’s fireplace. Keep all logs, kindling and flammable materials at least three feet from the fireplace cavity. Always make sure the embers are extinguished before you go to bed or leave your home.
Holiday Pet Safety Tips
- Secure the tree: Secure your Christmas tree and any large decorations to keep it from falling should your pet bump into it.
- Keep fragile ornaments out of reach: Hang only pet-safe, soft ornaments or plush toys at pet eye level.
- Hide the snacks: Keep holiday treats, like cookies and snack trays, out of reach of pets.
- Know your pet: If you’re hosting a party or having family visit, keep your pet’s comfort in mind. Give them a space to retreat to (like a bedroom) should they need a break from the action.
Live Christmas Tree Safety
- Select the right tree: Cut a tree or select a tree from a tree lot that is green and fragrant and that holds its needles.
- Trim the tree: If you choose the tree from a lot, cut the bottom two inches of the trunk off to allow for better water absorption. Most sellers will do this for you.
- Pick your placement: Make sure the tree is not covering heat vents, blocking walkways or near flammable items.
- Hydrate it: Water the tree well after placement, and add water to the stand every day.
Christmas Cooking Safety Tips
- Keep kids safe: Keep young children away from sharp, hot or flammable items in the kitchen.
- Stay cool: Keep hot pads on hand to protect from burns.
- Safely store cords: Using a slow cooker or mixer? Avoid accidents with children and pets by keeping small-appliance cords tucked safely behind the appliance ‒ not hanging off the counter.
- Avoid food poisoning: Cook all foods according to safe minimum cooking standards, including casseroles and leftovers. Check out these guidelines from foodsafety.gov.
Stay Safe This Holiday Season with Holiday Safety Tips from Rainbow International
The holiday season for spending time with friends and family – safely. Keep your home safe with our tips for spreading cheer and steering clear of accidental fires, foodborne illness and more. Need a deep clean before or after hosting? Need to recover from a burst pipe or candle incident? Our cleaning and deodorizing, fire damage and water damage restoration teams are just one call away. Schedule an appointment online or call (855) 724-6269 for 24/7 emergency service.