Mold comes in many colors, though none is as nefarious as black mold. How scary is it? Rainbow International® is here to educate you in Black Mold 101.
What is it?
Black mold is just that - mold that is black, however, not all black molds are dangerous. A few species of black mold are toxic. Common toxic mold species include:
- Stachybotrys Atra, or Stachybotrys Chartarum
By far the most common toxic black mold, found in areas with moisture problems.
- Aspergillus Niger
Common in damp walls and capable of causing hearing issues.
- Memnoniella Echinata, aka Stachybotrys Echinata
Commonly found on linens, cotton, wool, and canvas.
Why is it dangerous?
Toxic black mold produces mycotoxins, small molecular toxins that spread via spores. Exposure in high enough concentrations can result in potentially serious health problems.
Is it easily detectable?
Because toxic black mold so easily resembles several other harmless molds, professional testing is recommended to confirm its presence. Because its health effects increase in direct proportion to exposure, timely testing is recommended.
Does it smell?
Black mold has a distinctive odor of mildew and must.
Where might I find it in my home?
The tiny, microscopic organisms that make up mold can be found anywhere, indoors and out. However the most commonly effected areas of your home include spaces that are prone to warmth, humidity, and dampness, such as:
- Basements or crawlspaces
- Laundry areas
- Building materials (wood, drywall, ceiling tiles, paneling)
- And more…
How do I get rid of it?
NEVER attempt removal of black mold on your own. Professional removal is necessary. Disturbing mold can release huge amounts of spores, which increases exposure and adverse health effects. Precautions must be taken and special equipment used to prevent the spread of spores throughout your home, protecting your family from the risks of increased exposure during removal. Moisture issues must be addressed to prevent recontamination, and the air in your home must be tested for safety following remediation.
Are your symptoms from black mold exposure?
If you think you’ve discovered toxic black mold and have any of the following symptoms, have your home tested immediately. Failure to do so could result in life-threatening consequences.
- Breathing difficulties
- Asthma attacks
- Redness or itching of the eyes, nose, sinuses, mouth
- Uncontrollable coughing or sneezing
- Kidney or bladder issues
- Fatigue or unusual tiredness
- Frequent illnesses
- Allergic reaction
- Infants, pregnant women, and the elderly are particularly at risk.
Is the possibility of black mold in your home making you feel a little sick? Don’t wait. Identify and eradicate black mold today with the help of Rainbow International. Contact us today.
Other Related Blog Posts: