Have a smelly microwave? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Whether you’ve burnt popcorn, overcooked veggies or experienced a full-on leftover explosion – it’s easy to find yourself with a smelly microwave.
One of the reasons why microwaves are prone to stinky situations – like smoke – is that the heavy-duty plastic used in the construction of microwaves is prone to retain smells – and unfortunately, it isn’t easy to remove them.
But there is hope. Read on to learn how to address the smoky/smelly microwave before it becomes a permanent odor problem.
How to Get Smoke Smells Out of a Microwave
Smoke is one of the most persistent and pervasive smells that lingers inside a microwave. A smoky smell isn’t just unpleasant it can affect the flavor of the food you heat.
There are five steps you should take when faced with a smoky-smelling microwave:
- Wipe visible food and splatters out of the microwave.
- Bring 1-cup water and 3 tablespoons white vinegar to boil in the microwave.
- Turn off the microwave and leave the door closed for 10 minutes to let the steam cover all interior surfaces.
- Wipe the inside of the microwave with a damp, clean cloth.
- Leave the door open for an hour to let the appliance air out.
How to Prevent a Smelly Microwave
The key to preventing a stinky microwave? Prevention. At least once a month (or every time the interior of the microwave is visibly dirty):
- Wipe down the interior of the microwave being careful to wipe up any spills and remove any debris.
- Spread a mixture of two-parts baking soda and one-part water over top any baked-on food. Let the solution sit for three to five minutes. Use a wet sponge to remove the mixture and any baked-on residue.
- Microwave a lemon (cut in half) and a tablespoon of water in the microwave for one minute. Use a clean rag of paper towel to wipe the steam from the door and sides of the microwave. The lemon will act as a natural deodorizer.
Choose Rainbow International for Household Odor Removal You Can Trust
From smelly microwaves to carpeting that smells like mildew, unpleasant odors can overtake your home – decreasing your comfort and potentially impacting the indoor air quality of the house. The good news? With help from Rainbow International, you don’t have to settle for a smelly home.
Our local teams provide homeowners and commercial clients with IICRC-certified odor removal services making pet odors, cigarette smells and other lingering odors disappear, big or small.
Whether you’ve experienced smoke damage in your home or need help removing deep-set cooking smells, we can help. Contact your local Rainbow International today to learn more. Schedule an appointment online or call (855) 724-6269 for 24/7 emergency service.
Wondering about the safety of the appliances in your home? Learn about microwave safety from our friends at Mr. Appliance. Like Rainbow International, Mr. Appliance is a part of the Neighborly® community of trusted home service brands.