Tile and Grout Cleaning - Hard Surface Cleaning
If you've never had them professionally cleaned, tile and grout are two of the most reliable indicators of a home's age. Even if you sweep and mop regularly, it's inevitable that tile will become stained and grout will absorb dirt and grime.
Reasons to Have Your Tile and Grout Professionally Cleaned
You may think it's best to avoid professional tile and grout cleaning and simply do it by hand. However, there are a few significant benefits of calling on professionals for the job:
- Deeper clean: Grout is a porous material that becomes discolored as a result of soaking up dirt and spills over the course of several months or even years. Professional equipment delivers a deeper clean than a toothbrush and some elbow grease could ever hope to match.
- Protective sealant: The beautiful results of professional tile and grout cleaning are designed to last for months thanks to the post-clean sealant the technician applies. This helps make grout more spill- and stain-resistant, thus prolonging that just-cleaned look with no extra effort on your part.
- Ease: Tile and grout cleaning by hand is a painstaking, messy and uncomfortable process. Scrubbing each and every inch of grout with a toothbrush while on your hands and knees is not exactly a relaxing way to spend your Saturday afternoon. With professional tile and grout cleaning from Rainbow International®, you can go about your day as usual and let the cleaners do their job quickly and thoroughly.
Common Causes of Stained and Dirty Tile and Grout
The reason you're seeking professional cleaning is because the tile and grout in your home has become stained and discolored. The most common reasons for this include:
- Exposure to environmental elements: Water, dust, soot, dirt and spills that come in contact with porous grout eventually take their toll and cause the grout to stain.
- Certain grout properties: Some types of grout are more porous than others, meaning they are more susceptible to staining.
- Mildew: Bathroom tiles are subject to high levels of moisture and, more often than not, inadequate ventilation. This allows mold and mildew to grow on the tile and porous grout surfaces.
- Soap scum: This accumulates on the grout as minerals in the water combined with poorly rinsed soap settle and dry.
How to Maintain Tile and Grout between Professional Cleanings
It's recommended that you schedule a professional cleaning every one to three years. Between these cleanings, keep your floor sparkling clean with the following tips:
- Clean small areas by hand if spills occur and sporadically discolor the grout.
- Vacuum or sweep before mopping the kitchen or bathroom floor to reduce the presence of dried out debris. When this debris becomes wet, it could get into the grout and stain it.
- Rinse the floor with clean water after mopping with detergent.
- Avoid using bleach or other hard chemicals on the tile that could break down the professionally applied sealant.
- Wipe down shower tiles after use to reduce moisture that leads to mold and mildew.
- Rinse other tiled bathroom surfaces after washing to reduce soap scum buildup.
Other Hard Surfaces that Need Regular Professional Cleaning
Tile and grout are not the only hard surfaces in your home that require professional cleaning. Other areas you should have cleaned include:
If you need tile and grout cleaning in your home, call the professionals at Rainbow International today to schedule a free consultation.
- Stone and masonry flooring
- Concrete floors
- Hardwood, cork and bamboo flooring
- Brick walkways