Rainbow International® offers tips on controlling mold in the home
WACO, Texas (August 5, 2014) – Mold doesn’t ask for much when it comes to a place to call home. In fact, all mold needs is a warm, moist surface to settle in and begin growing and causing damage and health issues for homeowners. Rainbow International says it’s important for homeowners to have a professional assessment of affected areas, remove the damaged materials, and eliminate moisture sources to reestablish a healthy home environment.
If not prevented or treated quickly, mold can grow and cause health issues for those living in a home. Headaches, breathing difficulties, persistent cough, cold symptoms, burning or irritation of the eyes, nose, throat or lungs, asthma attacks, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, skin irritation, allergic reactions, and infections in immune-compromised individuals are all common symptoms families experience when mold is present in the home.
The best way to prevent mold in the home is to control moisture and clean up water damage quickly. Consider these basic suggestions for mold prevention in the home:
- Notice leaks right away and have them repaired promptly.
- Install mold-resistant products in your home, especially in the bathroom and basement.
- Turn on the exhaust fan when showering in the bathroom to remove moisture.
- Avoid installing carpet in the bathroom or basement where moisture is present.
- Hang used towels to dry before placing them in the laundry hamper.
- Check your basement floor for leaks and have them repaired if needed.
- Make sure outdoor rain gutters are moving water away from the home.
- Cleanse indoor plants and change the soil often to prevent mold growth.
- Empty and clean refrigerator drip pans to remove standing water.
- Use dehumidifiers to help remove moisture in the air of your home.
- Open windows when possible to let fresh air in to reduce moisture.
- Have the home heating and cooling system checked regularly to make sure it's operating properly.
- Increase circulation by placing furniture away from the wall and opening doors to closets and rooms.
If you suspect mold issues, don’t wait. For information on dealing quickly with mold in your home or preventing it in the first place, contact your local Rainbow International or visit RainbowIntl.com.
About Rainbow International®:
Established in 1981, Rainbow International is a global franchise organization providing residential and commercial restoration and cleaning services. Recognized by Entrepreneur magazine among its “Franchise 500,” Rainbow International franchisees offer a broad range of damage restoration services (ranging from water, smoke and fire damage to carpet and upholstery cleaning and deodorization) to more than 400 locations worldwide. The new Rapid Structural Drying Network of Rainbow International has established a network of elite water loss mitigation franchises across the United States. Rainbow International is a subsidiary of The Dwyer Group, Inc., family of service franchises. For further information or to find the location nearest you, visit RainbowIntl.com.
- ### -