Winter has come, and by all indications is leaving Pittsburgh. As green returns and things warm up, the threats of water damages to basements start ramping up in the area. A few simple steps can pay dividends and give you some peace of mind.
- Inspect those gutters and downspouts. Check for any damage that occurred over the winter, and make sure they are clear of debris.
- Walk the perimeter of your property both outside and inside. Make sure to seal any minor cracks, and consult a contractor for any major concerns.
- Don’t ignore any “minor” drain backups in the basement. These could be indications of sewer line damage or root infiltration. Neither situation will self-correct and will only get worse. Rainbow International of Plum works with many plumbers in the area and can recommend a qualified contractor to help assess any issues you may have.
- Now is a good time to visit your homeowner’s insurance agent. Drain overflows may or may not be covered under your current policy. Have your policy reviewed and updated, especially if you have a finished basement. Remember, the lowest quoted premium may not be your best choice.
- Finally, if you do experience any type of water damage, call the service professionals from Rainbow International of Plum for a free assessment immediately. Water damages not mitigated can lead to major issues down the road. Don’t risk additional damage or your family’s health.
Prevention is always the best course of action. However, sometimes no matter how careful you are, disasters will happen. When they do, make Rainbow International your first call (412.385.9050). We’re available 24/7 to service your needs.