Fire manifests itself in a variety of ways, and each type of damage requires slightly different techniques for cleaning it appropriately. Fires are categorized in 3 primary ways: protein, natural and synthetic. Each produces unique smoke and soot damage. Rainbow International Restoration of South & West Suburbs has the knowledge and experience to determine what cleaning, deodorization, and reconstruction applications are best suited to restore your property to pre-loss condition.
Rainbow International Restoration's service professionals are IICRC certified and trained to address fire damage and smoke odor as opposed to choosing a general contractor to address your fire mitigation. When a fire occurs, building materials heat up causing their pores to expand. Smoke particles become trapped in the walls pores as the building begins to cool and the pores then contract. If the property is not properly restored, the smoke odor will reappear. Especially on warm summer days that cause pores to expand as the building becomes warm.
Smoke damage repair is best performed by trained professionals that know how to properly implement ozone and thermal fogging applications to eliminate smoke odor. Soot can etch surfaces, tarnish metals, yellow plastics, embed itself into upholstery, clothing, and carpet so it is important that you choose a restoration contractor that is experienced in cleaning soot and smoke damage.
In some cases, the steps taken to put out the blaze can cause more damage than the actual fire. This is why fire restoration is an elaborate and invasive process as it deals with heat, soot, smoke and water damage.
If your personal property is damaged, our contents division can pack out your contents and safely relocate your belongings to our secure facility to clean and store them while remediation takes place.
What You Can Do on Your Own
- Before you attempt to clean anything, contact Rainbow International Restoration® at (708) 460-0911
- Make arrangement to secure your property if doors and windows need to be boarded up.
- Open all the windows. This will get air moving to push the smoke out of the rooms.
- Move pets and kids to a smoke-free environment. Smoke contains carcinogenic gases that can affect their health. Make arrangements for temporary living.
- Notify your service professional of the valuables so that you have in your home so that they can advise on what to do with them.
- Contact your insurance to see if it is in your best interest to file a claim. While doing so, obtain a copy of your insurance policy's declarations page.
- Notify your doctor that you will need your prescriptions refilled if they were in the fire.
- Notify your utility company that you had a fire.
- Keep track of your living expenses while you are displaced from your home. Maintain records of your receipts.
What You Should Leave to the Professionals
There are tasks you don’t want to attempt on your own due to the toxic gases or risk of smoldering ash. Fire restoration contractors have the knowledge and proper safety equipment to clean up your fire damage without the risks.
- Don’t wipe down the walls, wood trim and furniture or any other absorbent surface.
- Don’t sit on or move upholstered furniture.
- Don’t consume any food product, including canned items, that were exposed to the extreme heat of the fire.
- Don't consume medicine that was exposed to the extreme hear of the fire.
- Don’t turn on home systems like the furnace or air conditioner.
- Stay away from electrical devices like appliances, stereos or TVs, until the fire restoration service deems them safe.
There are many things to consider after a fire occurs. What is going to happen with my belongings? Will the smoke odor be removed from my home? How long will it take before I can return to my home? Rainbow International Restoration has assisted many Chicagoland home and business owners by cleaning up their fire and smoke damage over the years. We have since developed economical and comprehensive solutions to restore your property and your belongings. Our service professionals will educate you, communicate what to expect and walk you through the entire process. The longer contents and building components sit unaddressed, the more damage they can encounter. Contact us immediately so that we can asses your property and provide you with a plan of action.
Our fire damage service professionals are well versed in insurance claims. We can help you determine if your fire or smoke damage will exceed your insurance deductible. This information is necessary in order to file an insurance claim. It is critical that you avoid filing an insurance claim until this information is determined to help you avoid an unpaid claim on your C.L.U.E. report.