Mold plays its part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter outdoors, however when found indoors, it is a cause for concern. Spores travel through the air and can grow on virtually any organic substance when moisture and oxygen are present. If these materials are porous it can grow inside the material instead of only on its surface. Simple household solutions cannot permanently resolve this issue; professional mold removal is required to prevent any further damage to your home or your health.
Mold in Your Home
If you can visibly identify or smell mold in your home, it is safe to assume it may be growing in other places out of sight. It is commonly found inside walls because they contain spaces of confined humidity or moist air.
Symptoms to look for:
- Cracked or peeling paint
- Discoloration in paint
- Bulging in walls
- Peeling wall paper
- Areas in which water damage has occurred
- Click for a slideshow of mold pictures
- pictures of black mold
Mold is potentially very harmful to the health of building occupants, and can lead to many complications or serious conditions. Visit our page on the health risks of mold for more information.
If you find mold, do not:
- The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not recommend using bleach. The Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) is the first federal agency to announce a departure from the use of chlorine bleach in mold removal. Bleach is a chemical, and it is better to use natural solutions instead.
- Do not use bleach on non-porous materials like drywall and wood because it does not penetrate into the non-porous substance. Bleach will only kill the mold growing above the surface of these materials, leaving the roots alive so they can grow back.
- Bleach can damage your lungs due to its gas, cause chemical burns on skin, deteriorate
- Always wear gloves, and do not enter the affected room unless your eyes, nose, and mouth are properly covered to protect irritation.
- Do not paint over mold that has not been treated because it will continue to grow and eventually appear again.
- Professional mold removal
Remediation services include mold clean up and removal by Rainbow International® specialists to address any potential damage and health risks. Contaminated material must be removed and the damaged area reconstructed; therefore it is best left to a professional trained to handle hazardous materials. Our remediation plan includes:
A Rainbow International contractor will come into your home to identify affected areas, pinpoint the source of the problem, and formulate a remediation plan.
The source of the moisture problem is closed off to avoid contaminating the rest of your home with spores stirred up during the removal process.
Your Rainbow International specialist uses HEPA filters to clean spores and other particles out of the air, and we wear goggles and masks to lessen any exposure to airborne contaminants.
Since mold is a living organism and deeply ingrains itself into materials to survive, it is best to dispose of any porous building materials and personal belongings. Nonporous materials can be cleaned with antimicrobial cleaners, and sealants may be used to make treated areas more resistant. You may need to have your heating and air conditioning systems professionally cleaned as well.
Cleaned and repaired items should remain thoroughly dry. Remember, excessive moisture is how the issue started. As a result, your Rainbow International mold removal specialist will likely cover moisture management strategies to ensure your home doesn’t encounter future issues.
The reconstruction process will begin after all contaminated materials are removed. Clean, mold-free materials will replace what was previously contaminated.
Following remediation, we search for any signs of recurrent water damage, odors or visible mold to ensure the cleanup has been successful.
If you suspect mold issues, don’t put them on the backburner. Protect the health of your family by contacting Rainbow International for a free consultation and estimate.