Most of us, tend to give our home HVAC (heating/ventilation/air conditioning) system little thought. It’s a system we often take for granted. We just expect everything to work properly—and it usually does. However, HVAC systems do need periodic maintenance to function properly and efficiently, but many problems that accompany deferred maintenance do not appear obvious to the untrained observer.
During colder months in colder climates, for example, HVAC systems are constantly put to work to maintain a comfortable climate. When we can’t open the windows, the HVAC air ducts recirculate the inside air to create warm air. As the weather turns warmer, we depend on the HVAC system to supply fresh, cool air, and often to reduce moisture as well. That means all the air you and your family breathe is circulating through those air ducts, with the exception of the fresh air that is introduced when doors and windows are opened.
That’s why it’s always a good idea to keep HVAC air ducts clean with periodic maintenance. After all, even systems that aren’t used often will accumulate dust, mold, allergens, mildew, and other microorganisms that circulate in the air year-round. These particles get circulated into the air you breath when your system is on. All those dirty materials will be blown throughout the house. The system of air ducts in your home includes supply ducts that deliver fresh air to rooms, return ducts that circulate the air back to the furnace or blower, and the registers and diffusers in each room. Each part should be inspected and cleaned regularly.
Benefits of Regular Duct Cleaning
The benefits of regular duct cleaning are many, including:
- Healthier air circulating in the home, with fewer allergens like pollen, pet dander, and mold spores that can cause reactions and exacerbate asthma. Dirty air circulating throughout your home may also harbor bacteria and fungi that can cause illnesses such as bronchitis and other upper-respiratory maladies.
- Cleaner air with less dust and other debris that settles over all the surfaces in your home, including furniture, bedding, and flooring, which cuts down the time it takes to keep the house clean.
- Ensuring that the HVAC system is running efficiently. Buildup in ducts and filters can impede airflow, making the whole system work harder.
- Saving money, as dirty ducts can impede airflow, using more electricity and shortening the lifespan of expensive components like blower motors.
- Eliminate odors from cooking, pets, and mildew, resulting in fresher-smelling air year-round.
Frequency of Duct Cleaning
How often should you have the ducts cleaned? It depends on the conditions where you live, which is why working with a local expert like Rainbow International is important. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
When Is the Best Time of Year for Duct Cleaning?
Any time of year is appropriate for duct cleaning, but the winter months are ideal, as you’re typically using the HVAC system constantly. A clean environment is crucial for maintaining your family’s health and safety, so contact Rainbow International to learn more about air duct cleaning.