What Does Black Mold Look Like?

Not all mold is harmful, but black mold is. Let Rainbow International help you identify this dangerous mold to keep you and your family safe.

Is that white, green, blue or black mold? Don’t judge mold by its color. Even toxic black mold isn’t always black, and some harmless molds may appear black. Black mold is the layman’s term given to the mold strain Stachybotrys chartarum, which is toxic. Black mold isn’t something you want to mess around with, especially if it’s in your own home. It can lead to symptoms ranging from headaches to chronic illness.

As an industry leader in mold removal, we have years of experience in helping homeowners rescue their homes from microbial growth. So, what do black mold spores look like? Why are they dangerous? And most importantly, what can you do about it?

Where Does Black Mold Grow?

Black mold requires consistent moisture to survive. Usually, this comes from a slowly leaking pipe, condensation, excessive humidity or water damage that wasn’t properly remediated. Black mold usually appears black, but so does mold that is harmless, so don’t use this as an indicator of black mold. Black mold can also be gray or dark green. It has a distinct musty odor similar to mildew. Black mold grows on materials such as fiberboard, gypsum board (drywall), paper or dust.

Think you have black mold? Before you move out of your home, remember that black mold is rare and requires very specific conditions to grow. The only way to identify black mold with 100 percent certainty is to have a sample tested by a lab. You can also purchase test kits at your local hardware store, which are fairly accurate but not as foolproof as lab-based spore testing.

Why Is Black Mold Toxic?

Unlike mold that grows on your bread or neglected shower caulk, black mold poses a threat to humans. Black mold produces myotoxins that aren’t present in other types of mold. Long-term exposure to these toxins can cause serious health consequence such as chronic coughing and sneezing, rashes, headaches, fatigue and more.

Individuals with allergies or asthma are especially at risk. Prolonged exposure to any type of mold, and black mold especially, can trigger allergic reactions in the body and turn into long-term health problems if nothing is done to fix the problem.

Don’t assume you have toxic mold just because it’s black. If you’re worried, have the mold tested before removing it. Regardless of the type, all mold should be removed. The EPA recommends that homeowners call a professional if the mold in their home covers more than 10 square feet. When it comes to black mold, however, even a small amount is enough to have removed!   

Professional Mold Removal

Since mold spores spread so easily, professional removal is necessary, especially if it’s toxic black mold. Let the professionals at Rainbow International fully remediate your home from mold damage. Our experts will take the necessary precautions to keep you and your family safe and ensure the problem won’t return. Just call 855-724-6269, or request a job quote online.

As a precaution, homeowners should keep mold off their homes’ siding. Not only will this help keep spores outside the home, but it will also prolong the life of the building materials and make the house look better too! Mr. Handyman can help you combat mold on your home’s siding. Just like all the home service brands under the Neighborly umbrella, Mr. Handyman is dedicated to providing expert advice and services with the utmost care and professionalism.