Mold growth is common occurrence following water damage from storms. A noxious nuisance, mold can damage the structure of your home, its contents, and your health before you are even aware of its presence and the need for mold removal.
A Menacing Mix
Moisture, heat, and nutrients (nearly anything organic), can quickly result in a mold explosion following storm water damage. The longer these conditions remain and mold is allowed to grow, the greater the risk and more difficult the cleanup. Signs of mold contamination include:
- Musty, earthy, foul odors.
- Discolored ceilings, walls, or other surfaces.
Time is of The Essence
Flood damaged homes require special attention for safe and effective mold removal. It takes as little as two or three days for mold to grow, with colonies spreading easily throughput your home via spores in the air. Speedy removal is essential for success. As soon as it is safe to return to your home, don’t delay the cleanup and drying process!
You are Not Alone
The professional mold removal specialists at Rainbow International® have the technology, tools, and training to address your mold removal needs quickly and effectively, eliminating the probability of overlooked or improperly removed mold colonies that could result from DIY removal techniques that could lead to unnecessary health issues, inconvenience, damage and expenses. The Rainbow International team is also licensed to determine and deal with harmful building materials such as asbestos and lead that could go unnoticed by you during the stress of cleanup efforts.
What to Do While You Wait
Rainbow International is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so you won’t be waiting long for help to arrive. Some things you can address while you wait include:
- Take inventory: Make a room-by-room list, complete with photographs, of missing or damaged goods for your insurance company.
- Sort essentials: Any food and water that has come into contact with storm flood waters must be disposed of, including sealed cans and drink bottles. Only dry items are salvageable. When in doubt, throw it out!
- Begin the drying process: Remove as much standing water as you can. Open doors and windows for ventilation, using any available fans and dehumidifiers to aid your efforts. Controlling moisture in your home is the most critical factor for preventing mold growth. CAUTION: Do not turn on electrical or use any electrical devices unless you are sure it is safe to do so! If you are unsure, wait on your Rainbow International professional.
When Rainbow International arrives, they will:
- Determine whether it is safe for you to remain in your home throughout the mold removal process.
- Employ rapid structural drying techniques where applicable.
- Decide if areas undergoing mold removal require containment/isolation or added ventilation.
- Determine if your HVAC system has been contaminated by mold.
- Identify and address biological hazards related to sewage contamination.
- Assess the condition of your home and its contents to determine salvageable materials. Typically, porous items that have been wet more than 48 hours that cannot be thoroughly cleaned and dried must be disposed of, including:
- Carpet and carpet padding
- Upholstery, including leather
- Floor and ceiling tiles
- Paper and wood
- Some clothing
- Apply biocides as necessary for mold removal.
- Test your home for successful mold removal on completion.
People with asthma, allergies, and other lung issues can be extremely sensitive to mold, as can those with weakened immune systems from conditions such as cancer and chemotherapy, HIV infection, and organ transplant. These individuals should avoid mold removal and seek professional assistance ASAP. Symptoms of mold exposure include:
- Stuffy nose
- Eye or skin irritation
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing
- Mold infections of the lungs
Mold removal problems growing on you? We’ll help you get things under control. Contact Rainbow International today!
Other Related Blog Posts: