Just like solving a crime, the first 48 hours after flooding occurs in your home are critical. Seeping water damage is progressive, pervasive and can mean valuable objects may become permanently damaged – especially if emergency response is delayed beyond the first 48 hours. You have a very short window to avoid permanent damage like mold, dry wall rot and complete loss of personal property.
Here is a breakdown of the process that occurs in your home once it has been saturated with water and the steps you can take to save your home.
What is the water doing to your home?
- The first few hours flood waters are left in your home can cause cosmetic damages like stained carpets or furniture; but can also lead to more serious issues like appliance and electrical issues.
- In the next 12 to 24 hours your home is at a much higher risk for serious and permanent damage. Stagnate water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and leads to serious health issues. Flood water is categorized into three categories based on the flood source:
- Category One: Water is from a clean water source and will not cause illness immediately but should still be treated promptly.
- Category Two: Water that is can cause illness from contact because it has bacteria in it; category one can develop into category two.
- Category Three: Water from a sewer or backed up pipe that is contaminated and can cause severe illness.
- The final 24 hours in the 48-hour window are vital in the fight against mold. This is a very small window and without action, mold will reproduce rapidly and create an inhabitable environment.
To prevent the lasting effects of mold you will need to contact a professional and have the property fully dry within the first 48 hours. Not taking these measures can lead to threatening mold, drywall deterioration, appliance loss, carpet/floor damage as well as numerous other health and safety concerns.
What can you do?
As soon as your water penetrates your home, call your local Rainbow International® technicians to mitigate your home. With quick, efficient emergency professional services that are on call 24-hours a day, they can provide quality work to forgo permanent water damage.
Other Related Blog Posts: